SuperSync is a Windows application useful to synchronize (mirror) files (photos, videos or documents) from a Windows PC to a backup hard disk. The backup hard disk could be a portable hard disk or a network drive or flash drive. SuperSync detect changes in the selected source directory files and synchronize them to the given target location drive or directory. It ignores identical files those already exist in target location, making the synchronization process fast, saving you lot of time.
Synchronize in computing terms simply means to cause (a set of data or files) to remain identical in more than one location.
If you are installing SuperSync on your machine for the first time, then when you run the application post installation a SuperSync splash screen will appear that will take you to an “Agreement” window within few seconds.
- Once you click the agree button, it will take you to “Subscribe” (Register) window. In the subscribe window, just enter your email address and hit subscribe.
- The application will send an OTP (One Time Password) message on the given email address to verify the email address. Copy OTP number from OTP email message sent on your email and paste into the OTP text box on Subscribe window and click on “Proceed” button.
- Once your email address is verified, you will receive FREE to use subscription for a period of 90 days and the main application Sync window will open.
Now, the next time you start the application then after the splash screen, the main Sync window will open onwards.
Synchronizing your files is easy. Follow below steps.
- In the main application Sync window, click on Source button. It will open a folder browser dialog.
- In folder browser dialog, select directory (folder) you need to synchronize. SuperSync will check and validate selected source directory based on current settings. If the selected source directory path does not comply with current application settings, then a warning message will be displayed in status bar at the bottom of the application. If selected source directory is valid as per current settings, then the “Target” button will be enabled.
- Click on the “Target” button, this will again open a folder browser dialog.
- Select target directory (drive or folder) path where you need to synchronize selected source directory. SuperSync will check and validate the selected target directory based on current application settings. If the selected target directory is also valid then a “Sync” button will appear and enabled.
- Click on Sync button to start synchronization process. Initially it will create a list of source files then it will analyze the target location files showing progress status. Then synchronization process will start and a progress bar will appear showing the progress of the current sync process.
The duration of the sync process will depend upon the below factors.
- Number of files and folders in the selected source directory.
- Total size of selected source directory.
- Comparison of each file having same name/extension/size to check for any difference in the contents, if the option is checked in settings.
- Computer’s data transfer speed and target disk write speed.
- The overall configuration of the host PC and its performing capability.
You can view the application settings by clicking on the “Settings” menu. Take the pointer over the settings text to show a details description of each setting in a tooltip. SuperSync provides below list of settings.
- Sync creating selected source directory root folder to target directory
- This option is by default checked. When checked then while sync, SuperSync will first create a folder in the selected target directory same as the selected root directory folder and then sync all the selected source directory folder and files inside the newly created target directory folder. If the selected source directory root folder already exists in the target drive or directory, then SuperSync will use this existing folder in the target and sync all the files and folders from source, inside the folder.
- If this option is not checked then SuperSync will directly synchronize files from the selected source directory (folder) to the selected target directory (or drive) without creating the selected source, root directory folder. In this case the files those were already present on the selected target directory, which does not exist in the source directory will be deleted in order the sync the target location with source.
- Overwrite existing files with size or date difference
- This option is by default checked. If checked then while sync, SuperSync overwrites existing files in target location those have same name and extension as source but differs in size or last updated date. It is recommended to keep this option checked as this will make sure that all the latest files are updated in the target location.
- Compare files line by line
- This option is by default checked. If checked then while sync, SuperSync will compare each existing file in target location that may look identical, i.e., having same name, extension, size and if any difference in the content is detected then the file will be updated in target location. This ensures that all the latest files from source directory path is updated in the selected target directory.
- However, a limit of 512 MB has been set in SuperSync for a file to be compared as comparing bigger files would choke the system’s RAM and other resources. Large files, which already exists in the target location are ignored because there are minor chances in bigger files to have differences in the contents if the file size is identical.
- Overwrite All Files
- This option is by default unchecked. When this option is checked then SuperSync will overwrite all existing files in the selected target location during sync even if the files are identical. Users can check this option before sync process to double ensure that all the latest files are updated in the selected target location for selected source directory. However, checking this option is not recommended as doing so will slow down the sync process.
- Move deleted files to recycle bin
- This option is by default unchecked. Checking this option will move the deleted files from target location to recycle bin while sync process instead of deleting them permanently. This option works only with removable or fixed hard disks and does not work with flash drives or SD cards as they do not support this feature.
- Move deleted files to temp folder for review
- This option is by default unchecked. You can use this option to move files to a selected folder, those would otherwise be deleted during the sync process. When you check this option, it will open a folder browser dialog through which, you can select a directory (folder) where you need to move files to be deleted, for later review.
- Do not delete files in target location
- Usually, files those exist target location but could not be found in selected source location are deleted in order to maintain a mirror of files on target location exactly as source location. By selecting this option, you can ensure that no files will be deleted in target location those does not exist in source location.
- Review the files being deleted or replaced before sync
- This option is by default checked. Checking this option will show you a window dialog with the list of files in the selected target directory those will be deleted or replaced/updated during the sync process. You can review the list of files before proceeding for the sync process.
- Generate Sync Log
- This option is by default unchecked. On checking this option, it will generate a sync log after the sync process is complete. The sync log will contain the list of affected files during sync, like the files those were deleted or moved to recycle bin or moved to temp folder from the target location and the files added to the target location. You can also save the sync report by clicking on the “Save Log” button at the bottom right.
- Allow selecting fixed drive for target
- This option is by default unchecked, by selecting this option the application will allow to select any fixed hard disk drive path as target.
- Allow selecting removable drive for source
- This option is by default unchecked. By selecting this option, the application will allow to select source path from any removable disk like removable USB hard disk, flash drive or SD cards.
- Allow selecting same drive for source and target
- This option is by default unchecked. By selecting this option, the application will allow to select source and target paths from same drive. This option will work only if either of the previous two option is checked.
On the first time installation on a device the application asks for an email address to subscribe the application. A valid email address will be required to subscribe the application. The steps for subscription is mentioned above in the installation section.
The subscription is comprised of your email address and the device information. When you re-install the application on the same device it automatically generates your subscription information based on your device information.
When you install the application on a new device and re-use your email address to subscribe the application that was already used to subscribe on a different device, then the existing subscription associated with the email address is applied to the new device. For example, suppose you subscribed on device 1 with email address email@example.com for first time then you will get a FREE to use subscription for a period of 90 days. Now after 30 days, you have 60 days of subscription left and you re-subscribe with email address firstname.lastname@example.org on device 2. In this case the same subscription information and remaining subscription period will be applied to device 2. This way you can subscribe up to 10 devices using same email address.
You can refer SuperSync to your friends, family or colleagues. For each new user who subscribes SuperSync using your referral, you will get a 50 days FREE subscription.
Below are the steps for referrals.
- On the main SuperSync window, click on “Subscription” menu.
- In the Subscription window, enter valid email address separated by semi colons (;).
- Hit the “Refer” button.
- Referral emails will be sent on the given email address. A confirmation message will appear once the email is sent.
The referral email message will contain a download link with your referral email id.
If same email address is referred by multiple peoples then the referral benefit is given to the person whose referral link was clicked to download, install and subscribe SuperSync.
Sync Files from Mobile Phone
To sync files from your mobile phone, follow the below steps.
- Connect your mobile device with your PC using data cable.
- Once your PC detects your mobile device select the “Connect to transfer files” option from your mobile device.
- Start SuperSync and go to Settings.
- In the settings window, check the below options.
- “Allow selecting removable drive for source”.
- “Allow selecting fixed drive for source”.
- Click on “Save” button to save the settings.
- In the main Sync window select the source path from your mobile device.
- Select the target location path form your PC.
- Click on the Sync button.